The ALCOVE (Active Learning Classroom of Valuable Experiences) is a unique space that fosters a close partnership between UITS Learning Spaces, instructors, and students. The classroom provides a dedicated space to explore a variety of emerging technologies in a focused and controlled atmosphere, while continuously gathering instructor and student input to drive changes.
- Provide instructors with a space to support emerging instructional technologies and instructional strategies
- Raise awareness through research and help inform learning spaces design
- Improve models of instructional technology which can be scaled to all classrooms
- Experiment with “smart” technologies through a collaboration with Dell Computers with a goal to improve the experience for the instructors and/or students
Location: Bloomington campus, Woodburn Hall WH203.
Capacity: The student seating capacity is 30 and is currently designed with collaboration screens that will accomodate five groups of 6 students each.
The ALCOVE will be updated and upgraded at a faster pace than a typical classroom to meet the goal of informing technologies in other classrooms across all IU learning spaces. The space is designed to support a variety of instructional technologies, including digital whiteboards, collaboration screens, mobile technologies, and configurable furniture. Another part of the partnership is dedicated support - whether that be instructional design, rethinking lessons to include more active learning and technology integration, or training on the new technologies in the space.
Instructors scheduled in the ALCOVE:
- Will be given the opportunity to provide input on the design of classroom spaces
- Will be guaranteed a minimum of 2 consecutive semesters scheduled in the classroom (Fall-Spring, Fall-Fall, Spring-Spring, or Spring-Fall)
- Will participate in Focus Groups pertaining to the space and technologies within the space
- Feedback from sessions will drive further development of the space
- Will provide a time for students to provide feedback
- Feedback will be in the form of a digital survey distributed near the end of the term
- Will be provided priority technology support
- Will be provided dedicated instructional support for integrating technologies and active learning strategies
- And more… as determined by the instructors teaching in the space.